Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What This Is

Many people I know have been requesting the story of when I had cancer. How I found out, the weird things that happened, etc. I have also found writing to be very therapeutic and this story needs to come out of me. I have been thinking about it much too long.

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 1999. I went into remission and it came back again in 2002. I had a stem cell transplant in 2003. I have remained clean since then.

This January, 2008 I will have been in remission for 5 years. Although many say that the "cure" date for stem cell transplant patients is 2 years, the ongoing cure date for cancer is generally 5 years.

So, on January 27, 2008, I will have hit my cure date. For somepeople this is no big deal. For me, this is a huge thing in my life. Almost as big as getting married. Well, if I hadn't almost died...

I am a cancer survivor, and here is my story.

No comments: